Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Thailand Adventure ( 2009)

Multiply has sent notice that it's going to convert into a purely business site, so off with the  blogs and the pictures.  Just as I did with Friendster, I am transporting my stuff from there to here. So the articles you would be reading hence are about three-year-old stuff.  I will be posting pictures soon.  Multiply has already removed the ones that accompanied this article.   I'd be doing some editing when I get the time to concentrate.  Oh, I just hope Blogger never ends...


Multiply Blog
April 13 2009

Flew to Siam with kids...Bong went ahead for a meeting, we followed after a couple of days.  To travel without hubby makes me feel insecure, but with the kids being with me I have to feign confidence.

Had a blast going from temple to temple. Well, I could speak for myself, but not for my kids. They looked dead-bored. But I hope they enjoyed the whole trip, despite the fact that most of the sites we visited were temples.  Thailand's culture is fairly rich in the spiritual.  Thais are known to be gentle and polite people.  Never mind the Red protesters we saw occupying a whole stretch of  an avenue...they're just a drop in the bucket.

This is my second trip to Thailand, but I still would wanna go back someday.  Anyway, the new place I went with the bratpack was the Ayutthaya...an ancient city that thrived in the 1800s. Ruins of an ancient kingdom. Made of red bricks (or clay?) .  Headless Buddhas lined up against the wall.  A Buddha head protruding from the roots of a giant ficus! I wonder how the old Siam was like.

The floating market looks the same. Oh yeah, last time we came here we just stayed in the boat. This time we all explored the market and all its stalls, ate noodles and sticky rice with mango slices.  Haggled much for the framed scorpion that Bunsoy took fancy of.  From 750 Baht I bid down to 100, but we settled for 120.  It couldn't have been worth that much.  It was FUN! :-)    But you know, if you bid that low they would conclude that you are Filipino.  Haha, we Pinoy are known to be BAHraT!!! :-)

We visited the Summer Palace, the Bang Pa In.  The buildings we saw showcased influence of European architecture.  I don't know about the Royal Residence, because it was off-limits to tourists.  Tourists are allowed to view the Royal Temple, but not to take pictures of its interior.  Which was very sad because every inch was a beauty...the red walls, the gold inlaid, the magnificent ceilings and columns...the floor was entirely covered with red carpet.  What soul wouldn't find peace and contentment at such opulence embracing you as you worship!

We went to the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.  I thought all along the Buddha would be as humongous as the Reclining Buddha in Wat Po, but it was the total opposite.  It was small, only it was elevated at a great height that's why it looked so...commanding?  By the way, there is another Reclining Buddha in Ayutthaya, but that one needs a lot of aesthetic touches.

The Grand Palace is truly majestic!  And the temple, Wat Phra Kaeo, all I can say is Woo-oo--www!  I can't think of a word that would truly describe it. To simply say that it's beautiful is an understatement.

Along the way to Ayutthaya we passed by fields and fields dotted with tiny mountains of salt.  That is the industry in this part of Thailand.  One part produces fish sauce, or patis.  It's like their OTOP, One Town One Product.  There's a community that produces sugar from coconut, and another prides itself with its magnificent woodcarvings.  Paete doesn't even come at par when it comes to intricacy of details.  Such artistry!

My narration here is quite disorganized.  I talk about the places in a here-and-there fashion.  Anyway, you better go to Thailand with me the next time around.  There's still a hundred more temples i haven't been to. :-)  Haha, for sure Thailand has more surprises, like the beaches and the mountainsides, but that's hardly the leisurely type of vacation we wanted this time. That's more of the rough type.  Maybe we should try that one some other time.


Trivia:
http://thailandforvisitors.com/central/bangkok/index.html:
The official Thai name of Bangkok is in the Guiness Book of Records as the longest place name in the world. If you want to impress your friends, try memorizing this:
Krungthep Mahanakorn Boworn Rattanakosin Mahintharayuttha Mahadilokpop Noparatratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniveymahasathan Amornpiman Avatransathit Sakkathattiay-avisnukarmprasit.

What a mouthful!  What it means: "Great city of angels; the repository of divine gems; the great land unconquerable; the grand and prominent realm; the royal and delightful capital full of nine noble gems; the highest royal dwelling and grand palace; the divine shelter and living place of reincarnated spirits."

No comments: